Recipe by Chef Cindy
Not your typical green bean salad!
Green Bean Salad with Pickled Red Onions & Jalapeño Mustard Dressing is not your typical Green Bean Salad! The flavor of the pickled red onions, chives and the jalapeño mustard dressing mesh together so well with the green beans and tomatoes. Even the pickiest of eaters will love this!
These pickled red onions are incredible! My inspiration came from one of my favorite food bloggers, @loveandlemons. I decided to use them as a finishing touch for my green bean recipe. It's as simple as cutting the onions, heating the vinegar mixture, and placing all the ingredients in a mason jar. Just wait approximately 1 hour or overnight for the onions to become tender and turn a beautiful pink color. It's as simple as that!
The next step is to prepare your green beans. The batch of beans I used for this recipe were fresh from the Golden Earthworm Organic Farm CSA I belong to.
To see the original post for this recipe click on the link below:
Green Bean Salad with Pickled Red Onions & Jalapeño Mustard Dressing
- Pickled Red Onions
- 4 cups green beans
- 1 cup sun gold tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- ½ yellow pepper
- ½ red pepper
Jalapeño Mustard Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chives chopped
- 1 garlic clove chopped fine
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon chopped jalapeño
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Prepare the Pickled Red Onions (1 hour before or overnight)
- Trim the ends off the green beans and cut into bite size pieces. Rinse and place in a heated double boiler until tender crisp (approximately 5-7 minutes)
- While cooking set up a cold water bath for the greens beans. When beans are done, immediately plunge the beans in the cold water (so they stop cooking). Let sit for a few minutes, them strain (pick out the ice cubes if any). Pat dry the beans and place in a serving bowl.
- Clean & cut the tomatoes in half. Seed & dice the peppers. Place aside.
- In a measuring cup, add the vinegar, mustard, salt , chives, garlic and jalapeno. Whisk in the extra virgin olive oil.
- Plate all the ingredients (as pictured) and drizzle the dressing over it.
- Toss before serving.