Recipe by Chef Cindy
If you haven't made applesauce before, you're going to appreciate how easy this recipe is and wonder why you have never made homemade applesauce before! It's especially great to make in the fall when apples are in season, and there's an abundance of varieties to choose from. You can bet the apples will be super fresh and crisp!
TMF Tips for Plant-Based Replacement Ingredients
Applesauce is a great addition for adding moisture and a little extra flavor to a baking recipe. But for vegan baking, applesauce is a must-have ingredient to stock at home. You can replace one egg with ¼ cup of applesauce in sweet desserts. Applesauce can also replace butter 1:1 in most recipes. You will be amazed at how much better your desserts will taste when using homemade applesauce.
For more ideas on how to substitute plant-based ingredients in recipes, download our guide!
If you want more detailed instructions on how to make this recipe, click on the link below:
Best Homemade Applesauce
- 6 large apples cored, peeled, and cut into cubes (about 8 cups cubed)
- ¾ cup apple cider
- 1 lemon juiced
- ¼ cup brown sugar packed less with sweeter apples
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot, covered, and cook over medium heat for 25 minutes.
- Purée in a food processor or blender (for smoother applesauce).
- Store in the refrigerator.