Recipe by Thank You Berry Much
This vegan smoky tofu bacon is super savory and the perfect addition to sandwiches or brunch. It calls for thinly sliced, marinated, and baked tofu which makes chewy, savory, and flavorful plant-based bacon slices. Use this vegan bacon on BLTs or serve it alongside pancakes or waffles for brunch!
Tofu Bacon is a delicious, high-protein alternative to meat. The tofu is thinly sliced, marinated, and then baked until crispy. You will enjoy the smoky flavors with each bite!
Making Sustainable Choices Matter!
Choosing to eat less pork bacon is a powerful way to make a positive impact on the planet.
It takes around 7.9 kg CO2e to produce 1 kilogram or 2.2 pounds of pig meat, a car driving equivalent of 18.25 miles or 29.5 kilometers.
If you are a meat-eater, there are many tasty alternatives to bacon. Be open-minded, and don’t knock it till you try it! These alternatives may not taste exactly like traditional bacon but are an excellent substitution for bacon in many recipes. And the best part about it is that no pigs will be harmed in making this “bacon.” One of TMF's favorite substitutes for crispy bacon bits in recipes is roasted shiitake mushrooms. They are delicious and super healthy also!
Do you want to make a shift towards a more eco-conscious diet? Check out TMF's Resource Page for some helpful tips!
Click below for more detailed instructions & videos from Emily at tyberrymuch.com on how to make Smoky Tofu Bacon.
Smoky Tofu Bacon
- 3 cloves garlic grated
- 2 teaspoon agave nectar
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce vegan
- 6 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- ¼ teaspoon Chinese 5 Spice
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2-3 tablespoon olive oil
- 15 oz. extra firm tofu block drained and pressed
- Vegetable oil or cooking spray
- In a large shallow bowl or container, mix all of the marinade ingredients together.
- Make sure the tofu has been drained and pressed to remove excess liquid. Then, thinly slice the block into pieces that are 2” long and about ⅛” thick.
- Place the tofu in a single layer in the marinade. Flip the pieces over so they are completely covered in the marinade.
- Cover the bowl, and let the tofu marinate for at least 1 hour in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Drizzle 1-2 tablespoon of olive oil on the pan.
- Place the marinated tofu on the pan in a single layer. Rub the olive oil onto the tofu, making sure there is oil coating each piece.
- Bake for 18-23 minutes (depending on how crispy you like your ‘bacon’), flipping halfway through.
- Air Fryer Instructions: preheat the air fryer to 375F. Air-frying will take much less time, so decrease the baking time to about 10-15 minutes or until the tofu is crispy.