Recipe by Chef Cindy
Split Pea Soup is a traditional, hearty winter soup usually made with chunks of vegetables and ham for its flavor. This vegan version of Split Pea Soup is delicious and needs no ham! Instant Pot Vegan Split Pea Soup gets its delicious savory taste from Thai Green Curry Paste. It has ingredients such as curry, green chiles, lemongrass, ginger, and turmeric. The curry paste adds a unique kick to the soup without overpowering the peas. You can use store-bought or make your own Vegan Thai Green Curry Paste where you can adjust the heat according to your taste buds. In addition, you can add frozen petite green peas for a more intense pea taste and vibrant green color. The roasted shiitake mushrooms, red potatoes, and chives gave the soup the final touches of flavor and texture!
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN SPLIT PEA SOUP
Vegan Split Pea Soup is an easy-to-make, one pot soup! Prepare your ingredients – carrots, celery & garlic – sauté it in the pot – add your peas, broth and spices – cook for up to 40 minutes – blend (or not, your choice), and you are ready to enjoy a hot bowl of split pea soup!
Using an Instant Pot to cook the soup will reduce the time in half to just 20 minutes! It’s a big time-saver to learn how to multitask in the kitchen. Incorporating other tasks to do while cooking takes some skill and thought, but it can reduce your meal prep time tremendously. So while the soup is cooking, use that time to prep the toppings for the soup.
Craving More Soup Recipes?
To see the original post for this recipe click on the link below:
Vegan Split Pea SoupPrint Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ onion diced
- 4 white/yellow carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 celery sticks sliced
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 cup green split peas rinsed and sorted*
- 40 ounces vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 red potatoes bite size cubes
- 1 package shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ teaspoon green curry paste
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large pot**, add olive oil, carrots, celery, onion, garlic and sauté a few minutes. Add the green split peas, broth and bay leaves. Cook for 40 minutes or until the peas are softened and mushy.
- On a parchment lined baking sheet, roast the potatoes and shiitakes at 350° for approximately 20-30 minutes until crispy.
- Cook the frozen green peas in a separate pot if you want to use some as topping. Otherwise, add it to the large pot and cook with the soup.
- Skim the top of the soup, if any buildup. Transfer to a blender and puree.
- Transfer back to the pot to heat. Add the curry paste, 1 tablespoon (or more) of lemon and salt & pepper to taste (if desired). Ladle into bowls and top with potatoes, shiitakes and chopped chives.