Recipe by Purely Kaylie
Vegan sugar cookies are soft, chewy, buttery, and sweet! These classic Christmas cookies are easy, dairy-free, egg-free, and gluten-free friendly. Made with one bowl & perfect for the holidays!
Tips on plant-based alternatives for baking:
Baking can already seem daunting to many with its precise measurements, ingredients, and baking times... but it doesn't have to be! And it is actually easier than you think to make your favorite sweet treat plant-based! Here are some plant-based alternatives to try next time you want to bake something with the future of the planet in mind:
- Plant-Based Milk - Soy milk is a favorite alternative among bakers for its high protein content which allows it to act similarly to regular milk.
- Vegan Butter - Most popular vegan butter brands like Earth Balance or newcomers Kite Hill or Miyoko's, act similarly to regular butter. If you're not a fan of plant-based butter, coconut oil can also be used as a substitute, although you may need to modify your recipe slightly to accommodate its different baking properties.
- Egg Replacements - Many supermarkets carry egg replacers these days but if you want a plant-based alternative try mixing flax or chia seeds with water in a 1:3 ratio to create a thick binding paste. Mashed bananas also offer moisture and binding to a recipe and are a delicious, nutrient packed, whole-food alternative.
- Liquid sweeteners - Don't eat honey? There's an easy fix! Try maple syrup, raw agave nectar, brown rice syrup, or simple syrup (made from equal parts sugar and water) for a liquid sweetener swap! If you're looking for sweetness without adding more calories to your recipe, try Monk Fruit or Stevia Leaf sweetener, both of which are heat stable.
- Still hesitant about coming up with your own plant-based baking recipes-- vegan-friendly baking mixes are becoming widely popular. For example, Trader Joe's offers many plant-based mixes as well as companies such as Simple Mills and Safe + Fair.
If you need tips on how to make this recipe, click on the link below:
Vegan Sugar Cookies
- ½ cup vegan butter slightly softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon light brown sugar tightly packed
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour or GF all-purpose flour, measured correctly*
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar for rolling
Leave a Reply