Recipe by Chef Cindy
Making salad with seasonal veggies is quick and easy to make when using a food processor. This refreshing Celery Root, Carrot & Broccoli Slaw with Avocado Dressing is ready to eat in just 20 minutes.
This celery root slaw recipe is especially delicious when topped with a creamy avocado dressing but you can make a lighter version with apple cider vinegar and extra virgin olive oil.
What is Celery Root?
Celery root, also known called celeriac, is an edible root vegetable in the celery family. Although the stalks and leaves look similar to celery, they aren't tasty enough to be eaten raw like celery. If lucky enough to buy whole (with stalks and leaves attached), practice zero-waste and add finely chopped leaves to salads, stir-fries, potatoes, and rice dishes.
The root itself is a lumpy, roundish, light brown tuber approximately the size of a grapefruit. Trim the tough outer skin to reveal a whiteish color and texture similar to a parsnip and a mild, celery-like flavor. It is crisp, crunchy, and somewhat intense when eaten raw but sweetens when cooked.
Celeriac is closely related to celery botanically, but they are grown differently. Celeriac is cultivated for its root rather than its stalk.
Eating Seasonal Is Good For The Planet
Choosing seasonal ingredients when making any meal is good for the planet. Not only are the ingredients fresher when traveling fewer miles, but they are also healthier for you. Read TMF's Guide to Eating Seasonal for more tips.
When creating a slaw like this, it is easy to substitute other ingredients depending on the season you are preparing it in. Check out the full recipe instructions by clicking on the link below, where Chef Cindy shares different recipe variations.
Celery Root, Carrot & Broccoli Slaw with Avocado Dressing
- Food Processor Shredder blade, knife blade
- ½ cup celery root approx. ½ - 1 whole celery root
- ½ cup carrots, shredded approx. 3 carrots
- ¼ cup broccoli stem, shredded 1 stem
- ½ cup broccoli florets
- 1 avocado
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 small shallot
- 6 mint leaves extra for garnish
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 6 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Use a food processor with the shredding blade attached to prep the slaw ingredients.
- Clean the food processor and attach the knife blade. Place all dressing ingredients in the food processor except the oil and water. Process until somewhat smooth and slowly add vinegar, oil, and enough water for a creamy consistency.
- Blend the avocado dressing with the slaw ingredients. Stir in poppy seeds.
- Serve with a sprinkling of poppy seeds and chopped mint.
Leave a Reply