Recipe by Chef Cindy
If you aren’t a big fan of chickpeas, you will be once you eat this Vegan Chickpea “Tuna” Salad! There are so many flavors going on it’s hard not to like. The combination of cashews, chickpeas, and hearts palm may seem odd, but it blends well together. What makes it even better is this salad is super easy to make! To make this, you use chickpeas as the base and blend it with a few other ingredients in a food processor. In just minutes, you get the yummiest vegan chickpea tuna salad sandwich!
Is Chickpea “Tuna” Salad Healthy?
Dulse flakes are used in this recipe. It comes from the sea vegetable family and gives a hint of umami taste. Sea vegetables are known for their health benefits. Dulse is a great immune booster, improves digestion, and has antioxidant properties. It also contains minerals including calcium, magnesium, and iron, contributing to increased bone mineral density. To read more about Dulse, read this article in Organic Facts.
Compared to traditional tuna salad, you will be doing something better for the environment.
What is the best way to serve Chickpea Tuna Salad?
It tastes delicious served over a bed of greens, but my favorite is as a sandwich. I recommend two thick slices of whole-grain bread with chickpea tuna salad, pickles, red onions, and microgreens.
Is eating Chickpea Tuna better for the environment?
Although tuna fish is an affordable protein source high in omega-3 fatty acids, there are many concerns about eating it. One needs to be careful not to overeat it because of its high levels of mercury. Wild Salmon is a great seafood alternative when you want to add variety to your seafood intake. Canned tuna may also contain BPA from the cans it is packaged in, so try and purchase brands that state they are BPA-free. Of great concern is that Albacore Tuna, used for canned tuna, is an endangered species. Read about making wise choices on the fish you choose in TMF’s Resource Section Post on Fish.
To see the original post for this recipe click on the link below:
Vegan Chickpea “Tuna” Salad RecipePrint Recipe
- Food Processor
- ¾ cup cashews soaked
- ½ cup water
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tablespoon dulse flakes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup hearts of palm chopped
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 4 scallions sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 red onion sliced thin
- whole grain bread sliced
- 1 jar sandwich pickles
- 1 cup spinach leaves or microgreens
- Drain and rinse soaked cashews. Add to a food processor with water, garlic cloves, oil, lemon juice and salt. Pulse until creamy.
- Add hearts of palm and chickpeas and pulse until combined but chunky.
- Transfer to a bowl and mix in scallions and nutritional yeast. Adjust seasoning for desired taste with salt & pepper.
- Toast bread. Top bottom slice of bread in order – chickpea tuna, pickle, red onion and greens. Cover with top slice of bread. Slice in half with a sharp knife.