Recipe by Chef Cindy
This recipe is a super easy vegetarian version of Shakshuka. It tastes superb with homemade tomato sauce. But for many of us looking for quick & easy vegetarian meals, it tastes just as good with a well-prepared jar sauce. If you have these great mini skillets, you can make this Easy Shakshuka for One Recipe!
How do you make Shakshuka?
Place your sauce in a small skillet, heat it in the oven for 5 minutes. Poach your egg in a separate pot. Then nestle the egg in the sauce with some greens and heat it for a few more minutes. While that's cooking, prepare your garlic toast. This recipe will only take 20 minutes to pull together and is so delicious! It presents especially lovely in these mini cast iron skillets. If cooking for a large group, use a large skillet for cooking up to 6 eggs nestled in the sauce. You can even nestle uncooked eggs directly in the pan with some heated sauce. Cook them for a few minutes on the stovetop until the eggs are set, then bake them in the oven at 325° until the desired poaching for the eggs.
What is Shakshuka?
|Shakshuka is a combination of eggs, tomatoes, and spices popular across the Middle East and North Africa. The dish is likely of Tunisian or Yemini in origin. The name shakshuka roughly means, “shaken” or “mixed up,” which is reflective of its casual composition. You're basically just nudging things into the tomato sauce, and cooking it altogether in one pan, in the oven.|
You can use a variety of spices, beans, meats, greens, vegetables and cheese and call it shakshuka. Pretty much ... anything goes! As long as you have the 2 main ingredients - eggs and tomato sauce. Oh wait - the vegan version can be made without eggs! You can make it with tofu, chickpeas, vegan cheese, vegetables and sauce! Tomato Sauce being the consistent ingredient!!
Ingredient suggestions for Shakshuka:
- spices - paprika, cumin, coriander, chili powder, oregano, cayenne, garlic, chile pepper flakes, harissa
- beans - chickpeas, cannellini
- greens - arugula, spinach, swiss chard, kale
- vegetables - peppers, onions, carrots, tomatoes, potatoes, avocado
- cheese - feta, vegan cheese
- extras - kalamata olives, capers,
To see the original post for this recipe click on the link below:
Easy Shakshuka Recipe
- 1 jar prepared tomato sauce
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup arugula leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- 4 slices fresh bread
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- red pepper flakes optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat an oven to 325°. Pour the sauce in 4 mini cast iron skillets (or 1 large) and place in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Prepare the poached eggs, and nestle them into the sauce along with arugula leaves. (*See Notes if using large skillet).
- Heat in the oven for an additional 5 minutes or until desired time for the egg to be cooked hard or runny (it is recommended to leave it a little runny in this recipe).
- Mince the garlic cloves. Mix with olive oil and spread on slices of bread to toast.
- Top each serving with salt & pepper, fresh basil, and red pepper flakes. Serve with toast.