Recipe by Chef Cindy
Don't you just love to say vichyssoise (vi-shē-ˈswäz)! If you're unsure what Vichyssoise is, it is a classic French Potato Leek Soup similar to my vegan Potato Leek Soup Recipe, but it is served cold. Since it is summer and cucumbers are in season, why not have it with a bit of twist as Vichyssoise and make it a cold cucumber soup! There's nothing like "slurping" on a cold cucumber soup in the summer!
This chilled potato cucumber soup serves well as a light, refreshing soup on a hot summer day. Classic Vichyssoise is made with potatoes, leeks, chicken broth, and cream. This version substitutes vegetable broth and just the right amount of potatoes to make it creamy without adding dairy. You can add a tiny drop of vegan sour cream for additional flavor. It makes a pretty topping for the soup along with a sprinkling of chives!
How do you make Vichyssoise?
I love to make Vichyssoise Soup because it only requires 7 ingredients, one pot, and a blender! It is super economical and can be made in only 45 minutes. Just refrigerate it for about an hour and serve it chilled, topped with chives or dill. I usually make it in advance and serve it for dinner or as a lunch soup with a side salad. I especially like to serve it poolside as a refreshing appetizer, in a shot glass!
To see the original post for this recipe click on the link below:
Vichyssoise Soup made with Potatoes, Cucumbers & Chives
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup onion diced
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 3 large potatoes peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 seedless cucumber peeled & cut into small chunks
- 2 garlic cloves
- 48 ounce container vegetable broth
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 handful chives finely chopped
- Prep all of the ingredients and place in a large pot or dutch oven.
- Simmer on medium low for approximately 30 minutes or until potatoes feel soft when pierced with a fork. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Ladle soup to a blender, and process until smooth, in batches. Caution: Remove the top opening on blender to allow hot air to escape when blending - cover lightly with a dish towel to protect from splattering.
- Pour into a bowl, cool to room temperature on counter for ½ hour and place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour to cool completely.
- Serve in a bowl topped with chopped chives. (*optional: top with vegan sour cream)