Fennel, Apple, and Cabbage Slaw Salad topped with Pomegranate will make a refreshing and healthy addition to any winter meal. It’s especially festive for the holidays when topped with pomegranate arils!
Pomegranates are a Seasonal Fruit
Pomegranate season is sweet but short! The harvest runs from mid-September through early January, with 80% of the U.S. crop from California. Pomegranate trees need plenty of heat to grow and ripen fruit. They are best picked at the point of ripeness, making buying them at farmer’s markets the best choice. If purchasing from a supermarket, look for plump, rounded pomegranates that feel heavy for their size and are free of bruises; naturally occurring splits are fine.
Most of us are familiar with pomegranate arils, commonly referred to as pomegranate seeds. But the seeds are actually within the arils and are surrounded by the sweet, juice-filled pulps that this fruit is well known for. The seeds themselves are perfectly edible but can be spit out if you don’t like their crunch.
Did you know that the average pomegranate fruit contains 800 arils!
If you want more detailed instructions on how to make this recipe, click on the link below:
Fennel, Apple & Cabbage Slaw Salad with PomegranatesPrint Recipe
- ¼ head green cabbage
- 1 large fennel
- 2 tbsp fennel fronds
- 1 large crisp apple
- 1 cup pomegranate arils
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp lime juice or lemon
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- Optional: 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley basil, mint, or cilantro
- Thinly shred cabbage. (a mandoline slicer is recommended for best results).
- Remove bulb from fennel. Rinse fennel fronds, remove and set aside 2 tbsp chopped fronds. Cut the fennel bulb in half and slice thin.
- Core, peel and quarter the apple. Thinly slice the apple. Stack slices and cut into matchsticks reserving a few slices for garnish.
- Remove pomegranate arils (in bowl of water) and set aside 1 cup for the recipe.
- Prepare the dressing by whisking all the ingredients in a measuring cup.
- Place cabbage, fennel & apple in a large bowl and mix in the dressing, pomegranates, fronds and herbs.
- Serve topped with apple slices and fronds.