Recipe by Chef Cindy
Calling all past and present BLT Sandwich Lovers - this is a sandwich for you! Once you get a taste of a VEGAN SHIITAKE BLT SANDWICH, you won't go back to eating bacon BLT's ever again! If you haven't tried it yet, Roasted Shiitake Mushrooms have the flavor and texture of a crispy piece of bacon. It's the perfect bacon replacement in most recipes, without harming the poor little piggies. I also share a link to my Vegan Cheddar Cheese Recipe which tastes amazing in this sandwich. Combine those 2 ingredients in this sandwich, tomato, lettuce, and whole-grain bread - yum!
How do you make a Vegan Shiitake BLT Sandwich?
You do have to plan ahead a little if you want to make my Vegan Cheddar Cheese Recipe. It requires soaking the almonds overnight and a few extra ingredients you may not normally have on hand at home. You can use store-bought cheddar cheese (Daiya or Violife recommended) or no cheese at all, and this sandwich will still be delicious.
The next step would be to Roast the Shiitake Mushrooms which is incredibly easy. You just slice the mushrooms, drizzle them with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt, and roast for 20 - 30 minutes. It's that simple to make a Vegan Shiitake BLT Sandwich!
Get your other ingredients together for the sandwich - sliced tomato, crisp lettuce, and whole grain bread. When the cheese is ready, spread it on one slice of the bread and toast both slices for 2 minutes in the oven or a toaster oven, if you have one. Layer the sandwich with cheddar toast, Shiitake, tomato, lettuce, and top with sliced toast. For an extra flavor kick, I love to mix Truff Hot Sauce with vegan mayonnaise to finish the sandwich off, but that's optional.
To see the original post for this recipe click on the link below:
Vegan Shiitake BLT Sandwich with Cheddar Cheese
Cheddar Cheese Recipe Ingredients:
- 1 ½ cups almonds soaked overnight
- 4 cups water
- 6 tablespoons agar flakes
- 6 tablespoons arrowroot
- 3 tablespoons chickpea flour
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast flakes
- ¼ cup neutral oil canola
- 1 tablespoon brown rice vinegar
- 2 ½ teaspoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
Roasted Shiitake Ingredients:
- 1 3.5 ounce package Shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
Additional Sandwich Ingredients:
- 1 large tomato
- whole grain bread sliced thick
- Truff Hot Sauce
- fresh pepper
- Make the Cheddar Cheese - click here or directions.
- Roast the Shiitake Mushrooms - click here for directions.
- Spread cheddar cheese on one slice of bread per 2 for a sandwich. Toast bread until lightly browned and cheese has warmed. While bread is toasting prepare sauce - mix 2 tablespoons of Veganaise with 1 - 2 teaspoons of Truff Hot Sauce (make it as spicy as you want!).
- Assemble layering with Shiitake, tomato, lettuce and sauce. Season with a few grinds of fresh pepper. Cover with top piece of bread. Slice and serve immediately.