Recipe by Chef Cindy
The combination of sweet potatoes, chickpeas, and lentils is delicious! They are the perfect blend of ingredients for this hearty vegan red lentil soup – Sweet Potato, Chickpea, and Red Lentil Soup topped with Cashew Cream & Harissa. What’s more perfect in the fall/winter months than to get comfy on your couch with a hot bowl of soup while watching Netflix! In just a little more than 30 minutes, you have a delicious sweet and savory soup that beats a store-bought soup any day!
Short on time … no worries, Sweet Potato, Chickpea and Red Lentil Soup is delicious simply topped with cilantro!
Got time … make cashew cream by checking out my all-purpose cashew cream recipe.
What to do with leftover Sweet Potato, Chickpea and Red Lentil Soup?
Leftovers are great, especially when it comes to soup. Have a cup for lunch with a salad. It’s even great as a starter for dinner a couple of days after. Just add a little water or broth when cooking as it tends to thicken after being refrigerated.
Leftover soup holds up well for freezing. Just double the amount you planned to make for your meal. Let the soup cool to room temperature for about 30 minutes. Then place the leftover soup in a freezer-safe container. It will store well for up to 3 months.
Recommended Kitchen Tools for this Recipe:
This hearty vegan red lentil soup recipe is incredibly quick and easy to make, especially when using an Instant Pot. I decided to cook dry beans in the Instant Pot, while preparing the soup on the cooktop, but it is even easier making it all in an Instant Pot with already cooked chickpeas. In a pinch for time, you can even use boxed/canned chickpeas. Best yet, if you cook everything in the Instant Pot, the clean-up after is super quick. Simply, top it with cilantro, sweet cashew cream and a hint of harissa.
Check out this post on how to prepare dry beans in an Instant Pot!
Craving More Soup Recipes?See All Soups >
To see the original post for this recipe click on the link below:
Sweet Potato, Chickpea and Red Lentil Soup (Vegan)Print Recipe
- ½ large onion diced
- 1 leek chopped (mostly white part)
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 celery stalks finely diced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled & cubed
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- 1 cup red lentils rinsed
- 26 ounces chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger grated
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas drained
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 cup prepared cashew cream **
- ½ teaspoon harissa
- Set the Instant Pot to the Sauté function. Heat the olive oil and add the onion. Sauté for 5 minutes and then add the leek, garlic, celery and salt. Cook for an additional 5-7 minutes until softened.
- Add the sweet potatoes, broth, lentils, tomatoes, water, ginger, coriander and chickpeas. Set the Instant Pot to high pressure for 5 minutes, then release the pressure manually. *See Notes
- Add the lemon juice, 1 tablespoon cilantro and 1 tablespoon parsley. Stir and season with desired salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and top with 1 tablespoon of cashew cream and a sprinkle of chopped cilantro. Add a dash of harissa on top for an extra kick of heat!